- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Inside the Beltway: A gun maker goes active
“Miss New York, the New Miss America, espouses liberal conventional wisdom on guns,” observes Brent Baker, an analyst with the Media Research Center.
She also “matched the attitude toward guns espoused by her very liberal governor, Andrew Cuomo,” Mr. Baker adds, musing, “as if law enforcement officers carrying guns fuels violence.”
Las Vegas Sun gossip writer John Katsilometes says the question won the crown.
“The question: What separated Miss New York Mallory Hagan from the field to win Saturday’s Miss America pageant?” he asks. “The Answer: The answer.” Which was, he says, “crisp and opinionated.”
“President Obama was ‘totally furious’ he spent a week of his time posing for a trillion-dollar platinum coin that would never be minted, a White House source confirmed today,” says New Yorker comedic columnist Andy Borowitz in a parody news report.
“Mr. Obama devoted much of last week to posing for the trillion-dollar coin on the assurances of outgoing Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, who told Mr. Obama that the coin had ‘a way better than 50 percent chance’ of being minted,” Mr. Borowitz continues.
He later concludes, “The coin fiasco behind him, Mr. Obama has now apparently learned his lesson, the source said: ‘If this coin idea ever comes up again, he’s going to make Biden pose for it.’”
POLL DU JOUR
• 50 percent of Americans say they “sympathize more” with Israel than with the Palestinians.
• 70 percent of Republicans, 75 percent of conservative Republicans, 41 percent of Democrats and 33 percent of liberal Democrats agree.
• 10 percent of Americans overall sympathize with the Palestinians.
• 2 percent of Republicans, 2 percent of conservative Republicans, 13 percent of Democrats and 22 percent of liberal Democrats agree.
• 41 percent of Americans overall say U.S. support for Israel is “about right.”
• 34 percent of Republicans, 29 percent of conservative Republicans, 55 percent of Democrats and 59 percent of liberal Democrats agree.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: A Hillary-free 2016 would confound Democrats
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- George P. Bush - son of Jeb - the lead figure in the Bush political push for now
- Inside the Beltway: The appeal of 'strong America'
- 4 MILLION WORDS: the U.S. Tax Code is seven times the length of 'War and Peace'
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.