- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Freak lightning storm kills 1, injures 7 on California beach
- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
Whiteout, ice were factors in 86-car pileup in Ohio
12-year-old girl killed
Question of the Day
Whiteout conditions contributed to a massive 86-car pileup outside Cincinnati on Monday, leaving a 12-year-old girl dead and 20 people injured.
The crash involved 70 passenger vehicles and 16 commercial trucks and semis on Interstate 275, WHIO-TV reports.
The girl had gotten out of a damaged vehicle and was standing in the median near a cable barrier, the Hamilton County sheriff's office told the Associated Press. Another vehicle hit the barrier, snapping a cable, which then struck the girl and killed her.
"It was just chaos, absolute chaos," Hamilton County sheriff's office Lt. Tory Smith told The Cincinnati Enquirer.
The cause of the accident has not been confirmed, but the sheriff's office noted snow and ice had accumulated on the highway. It also stated it didn't expect any of the other injuries to be life-threatening.
Witness Luke Stevens told The Middleton Journal he was in a vehicle at the front of the pileup.
"It was complete ice all over the highway," he said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Border agents detain Boy Scout troop for taking photo, troop leader says
- Wikipedia imposes editing ban on House staffers
- Fla. Republican to push bill mandating D'Souza's 'America' film in public schools
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Boko Haram abducts wife of Cameroon's vice prime minister
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's trial to test definitions of political corruption
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq