- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Shakira: Congrats flood in for singer’s new baby boy
MADRID (AP) — Within hours of Shakira’s baby boy being born, people are already asking about his future career.
Will Milan Pique Mebarak be a famous pop singer, like his Colombian mother, or an international soccer star, like his Spanish father, Barcelona defender Gerard Pique?
“Welcome Milan Pique Mebarak and congratulations to Shakira and Gerard Pique. What would you prefer as a present for the baby, a microphone or some (soccer) boots?” Manchester City striker Sergio “Kun” Aguero wrote Wednesday on Twitter.
Shakira, 35, gave birth to her first child Tuesday in Barcelona, in northeastern Spain. Both the boy and mother were said to be in fine health.
Mr. Pique’s grandfather, Amador Bernabeu, said the couple was delighted.
“I still haven’t seen him (Milan) in person, but I know he is dark-haired and weighs 2.9 kilograms (6 pounds),” Mr. Bernabeu told RAC-1 radio.
Congratulatory messages rained down on the couple from both sides of the Atlantic.
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos was among the first to wish them the best, while the Pies Descalzos (Shoeless) Foundation for poor children, set up by Shakira in 1997, sent a Twitter message saying, “The children and Pies Descalzos team are happy for Milan’s birth. We love you Shakira!”
Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas tweeted a welcome to the baby, saying he “can’t wait to meet you.”
Antonella Roccuzzo, the girlfriend of Argentine soccer ace Lionel Messi, tweeted: “Welcome to the world Milan Pique Mebarak. Now Thiaguin will have a great friend,” in reference to her recently-born son.
One of the big surprises was child’s first name. In a statement, Shakira said Milan was of central European origin and meant “loved, full of grace, loving,” in Slavic and “unification” in Sanksrit.
Milan, coincidentally, is also the name of the famous soccer team from that Italian city and Barcelona’s next rival in the European Champions League.
Mr. Bernabeu admitted the family was surprised by the choice and confessed he had never heard of the name.
“I think Milan will become fashionable,” he told the radio.
The grandfather, a former director of the Barcelona club, made sure Milan was registered as a club member as soon as he was born.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- 2-week truce for hot sauce maker, California city
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014