Continued from page 1

The Obama administration in September took the MeK off the State Department’s list of foreign terrorist organizations, where it had been placed in 1997 as the Clinton administration sought to open negotiations with Iran.

The U.S. decision to delist the MeK was motivated in part by the group’s cooperation to relocate from Camp Ashraf, their base north of Baghdad, to Camp Liberty under a U.N.-brokered deal in December.

The U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees is interviewing Camp Liberty residents to determine their eligibility for refugee status.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki wants the Iranian dissidents out of Iraq and the interviews are a necessary step to resettle them in other countries.

On May 31, 30 residents of Camp Liberty were relocated to Albania.

The rocket attack on Camp Liberty on Saturday should serve as a reminder to other countries to “come forward with serious offers to resettle Camp Liberty residents outside Iraq,” said Mr. Kobler.

Mr. Kerry said the U.S. is committed to assisting the Iraqi government and UNAMI quickly relocate the residents of Camp Liberty outside Iraq.

“We must find a permanent and long term solution that ensures their safety,” he said.

Mr. Kia said the attack added urgency to the MeK’s demand that the remaining residents of Camp Liberty should immediately be transferred back to Camp Ashraf, which is equipped with bomb shelters and bunkers.