- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
- Hillary: ‘Dead broke’ comment was ‘inartful,’ but insists it was ‘accurate’
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
Kill lobsters before boiling
Question of the Day
In his classic essay “Consider the Lobster,” acclaimed writer David Foster Wallace asked, “Is it all right to boil a sentient creature alive just for our gustatory pleasure?” The answer should be a resounding “no” (“Inside the Beltway,” May 31).
Multiple studies have indicated that lobsters feel pain, and lobsters that are boiled alive likely suffer every second of the three long minutes it takes for them to die. Researcher Gordon Gunter described boiling lobsters alive as “unnecessary torture.”
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals would prefer, of course, that diners opt for an animal-friendly, vegan meal so that no one gets hurt. But using Crustastun to kill lobsters before boiling them is a huge step in the right direction — the direction toward not having lobsters trying frantically to climb out of pots of boiling water as they slowly cook to death.
The PETA Foundation
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- California's Jerry Brown cites God, 'religious call' to embrace illegals
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Appeals court upholds Obamacare tax as constitutional