- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Blackhawks join Bruins for Original 6 Cup finals
Question of the Day
Chicago eliminated the defending champion Los Angeles Kings with a 4-3, double-overtime victory Saturday night in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals, bouncing back to win after giving up the lead in the final seconds of regulation.
“We know there’s going to be more tough moments that we’ll have to battle through,” Chicago captain Jonathan Toews said.
Boston finished off a sweep of the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday night in the Eastern Conference finals.
The league hasn’t had two of its oldest franchises playing for the championship since Montreal beat the New York Rangers in five games 34 years ago, winning its fourth straight title. Those Canadiens were led by coach Scotty Bowman, now a senior adviser for the Blackhawks, whose general manager is his son, Stan.
The Blackhawks will have home-ice advantage in their first postseason matchup with the Bruins since 1978, when Boston won an opening-round series.
Game 1 is Wednesday night in Chicago.
They haven’t played each other since Oct. 15, 2011, when the Bruins won 3-2 in Chicago. Tyler Seguin scored the only goal of a shootout, and goalie Tim Thomas denied Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp in the tiebreaker.
Boston hoisted the Cup in 2011 for the first time since 1972. The Blackhawks won it in 2010 for the first time 1961.
Both teams have many of the same skaters they had on their recent championship teams, and both were on the brink of being bounced earlier in the postseason.
Boston coach Claude Julien had 16 players from the championship team three years ago in the series finale against Pittsburgh.
Chicago rallied from a 3-1 deficit in its second-round series against Detroit, which entered the third period of Game 6 at home with the lead before the Blackhawks scored a flurry of goals to win. They lost only one game to Los Angeles in the conference finals.
The Bruins led Toronto 3-1 in the opening round before being pushed to a Game 7 in which they trailed by three goals with less than 11 minutes left in the third period.
Since that stunning comeback, Boston beat the New York Rangers in five games and swept the previously potent Penguins by a combined score of 12-2.
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world