• 64 percent of Americans overall say it would be a “bad thing” if the federal government shut down for a few days because Congress did not pass a new spending bill; 52 percent of Republicans and 76 percent of Democrats agree.
• 34 percent of Americans overall say a government shutdown would be a “good thing”; 46 percent of Republicans and 22 percent of Democrats agree.
• 40 percent overall would blame Republicans in Congress for the shutdown; 15 percent of Republicans and 65 percent of Democrats agree.
• 38 percent would blame President Obama; 68 percent of Republicans and 13 percent of Democrats agree.
Source: A CNN/ORC poll of 1,021 U.S. adults conducted March 15 to 17.
• Arias, solos and stage whispers to email@example.com.