- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
La. judge throws out Gov. Bobby Jindal’s teacher-tenure revamp
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — A state judge has thrown out Gov. Bobby Jindal’s revamp of teacher-tenure laws as unconstitutional because it was contained in legislation with too many other items.
Judicial District Court Judge R. Michael Caldwell previously threw out parts of the education law that limited the authority of local school boards, but he had upheld the provision that made it harder for teachers to reach the job protection status of tenure.
On Monday, Judge Caldwell agreed with the Louisiana Federation of Teachers that he misread part of the bill for his previous ruling. The Republican judge determined that the entire bill must be declared unconstitutional because it had too many different items crammed into it.
Jimmy Faircloth, a lawyer for the Jindal administration and the state Department of Education, said he will appeal the ruling.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.