White House evacuated due to smoke

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

Journalists were evacuated from the White House Saturday morning when smoke from a malfunctioning electrical transformer set off an alarm, but the First Family was not affected.

Reporters and photographers were evacuated from the press briefing area connected to the West Wing shortly after 7 a.m. due to the odor of smoke.

A White House official said the transformer problem was “quickly resolved” and that electricity and personnel access returned to normal by 9 a.m.

The official said President Obama and his family weren’t affected. The First Family’s residence is in the main portion of the White House, while the electrical malfunction was in the West Wing.

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks