- Mystery sign poster hits Washington state town: ‘It’s OK to say Merry Christmas’
- Pope Francis forms commission to advise on sex abuse
- Anthony Weiner on radio? Cumulus says, ‘Never, ever’
- Executive order: Obama ups green-energy mandate on feds to 20 percent
- GOP launches candidate training: How to talk to women
- N.Y.’s Rockefeller Center lights up, as Bloomberg flicks on 76-foot Christmas tree
- Northern Ireland turns to ‘Game of Thrones’ to draw in tourists
- Washington woman live-tweets husband’s horrific car death
- China City of America mulled for New York — with $65M tax dollars
- Yemen defense ministry rocked by suicide bomber, gunfire
Al Jazeera America opens Detroit bureau
“We want our reporters to be where the stories are and Detroit continues to be where American business stories and trends are happening,” Ehab Al Shihabi, executive director of international operations for Al Jazeera, said in a press release. “Al Jazeera America knows that you have to have on-the-ground reporting from the Motor City to really cover America’s economic, financial and socially important news and we’re excited about being here.”
In addition to the Detroit bureau, The Washington Times reported Tuesday that the network will open a bureau in Chicago.
Al-Jazeera America expects to hire 800 U.S. journalists and launch the 24-hour news channel by July or August of this year.
Mr. Al Shihabi has repeatedly said he sees a vacuum in America for unbiased, investigative reporting. Despite grants from the Qatar government, the chief said the channel will offer “unbiased” reporting and fulfill that perceived shortcoming.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Wingate University on lockdown after 2 shot dead
- Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement: report
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over 'ill-judged' comments about Sarah Palin
Latest Blog Entries
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- American teacher shot and killed at Benghazi international school
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- NAPOLITANO: Liberty, the wellspring of capitalism and charity
- Pentagon may give recruits 'a shot to start over' after shameful social media posts
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- Young millennials shun Obamacare, creating risky imbalance
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- HARPER: 'Knockout game' not a myth to liberal Sharpton
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.