- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Sen. Chuck Schumer pressed to include gay rights in immigration reform
Sen. Chuck Schumer is facing increasing pressure from members of the gay community to make sure any immigration reform he puts his stamp on includes rights for same-sex couples.
In a recent meeting described by attendees as heated, Mr. Schumer reached out to prominent New York gay politicians and activists to try and smooth relations — and explain why an amendment for same-sex couples could prove a tough sell on Capitol Hill and an outright deal-breaker to Republicans, he said, Politico reported.
But she gave an overview of what several attendees made clear to the senator: If he failed to support gay rights in immigration overhaul, the political fallout from the gay community would be substantial. The omission of the amendment would be unforgivable, Politico reported.
Others who attended the meeting described it as more amicable and less heated, Politico said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He's a 'scumbag'
- Google floats new contact lens to help blind cross street
- Bill Clinton falls off vegan diet wagon — but not vegan label
- Army treads toward taking some Marine attack helicopter duties
- N.H. Democrat calls for end to anti-adultery law
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Donald Rumsfeld has 'no idea' if he paid taxes correctly
- Wal-Mart forced to apologize for 'mistake' favoring English-speaking shoppers
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes