- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Mitch McConnell vows to stand with gun owners
Question of the Day
Mr. McConnell told the crowd that turned out for the National Rifle Association’s annual meeting in Indianapolis that the Obama administration is trying to trample over the constitutional rights of everyday Americans and that if he becomes majority leader he will do everything in his power to defend the Second Amendment.
“They are trying to burn the rights of those they disagree with,” the Kentucky Republican said. “Whether it is your right to bear arms or it is your right to speak up without fear of government intimidation.”
Mr. McConnell, who faces a primary challenges from Louisville businessman Matt Bevin, said that the Second Amendment is also under attack from others and pointed to the decision of a New York newspaper to post an online database of local gun-permit owners in the wake of the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School that left 20 children and six staffers dead.
Mr. McConnell said he supports Wyoming Sen. John Barrasso’s push to prevent that from happening again.
“You should all know, for sure, if I am given the opportunity to lead a new Senate majority next year, I will work with John Barrasso to advance this important idea,” Mr. McConnell said. “The reason for that is the privacy of law-abiding gun owners needs to be protected.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Chris Christie faces flak on New Hampshire campaign foray
- Chris Christie sidesteps Bridgegate, again tops Republican presidential field
- Democrats may win at fundraising but still lose to GOP at polls
- Impeachment talks revving up Democratic base: DCCC
- Boehner says impeachment talk is Democratic fundraising ploy
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Iraq Christians get meeting with top Obama aide
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors