- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Va. delegates push McAuliffe for special counsel after AG’s gay-marriage stand
A bipartisan group of delegates demanded Friday that Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe appoint a special counsel to defend the state’s voter-approved constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, just one day after Virginia’s top law enforcement official said that he will actively seek to overturn the law.
Republican Delegate Bob Marshall, who is spearheading the push for the counsel, joined 31 others in signing a letter to Mr. McAuliffe, calling for him to uphold the marriage amendment passed by voters in 2006.
Virginia Attorney General Mark R. Herring, saying it’s “time for the commonwealth to be on the right side of history and the right side of the law,” announced Thursday that he would join a federal lawsuit on behalf of two gay couples who are challenging the ban.
“In light of the fact that newly installed Attorney General, Mark Herring, has announced that he will not only, not defend the Constitution as he swore to do just 13 days ago, but will actively support the litigation pending to overturn the Marriage Amendment, we are calling on the governor to appoint a special counsel to do the job that Mr. Herring is refusing to do,” Mr. Marshall said in a statement released by his office.
Virginia House Speaker William J. Howell, Stafford Republican, said Thursday he is also “very concerned” about the announcement and “the dangerous precedent it sets with regard to the rule of law.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: 'I hope you die in prison'
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Elderly Chicago man robs bank to go 'home' to prison; judge fulfills his desire
- Attacks, rapes and forced conversions to Islam spike for Egypt's Christian women: report
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.