- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation in South Korea
- Militants kill 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
KNIGHT: Lies, lies and more presidential lies
The Obama White House has become the home of the whopper
One bad thing about our media-mad age is that it’s difficult to keep up with all the lies we’re being told by our government. The good news is that falsehoods don’t have the legs they once had.
Remember when Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper was asked by Sen. Ron Wyden, Oregon Democrat, during a hearing on March 12, 2013, “Does the NSA collect any type of data at all on millions or hundreds of millions of Americans?” Mr. Clapper answered, “No sir not wittingly.”
After Edward Snowden spilled the National Security Agency’s beans three months later, Mr. Clapper retreated to his Ministry of Truth persona when asked by NBC’s Andrea Mitchell on June 10 why he lied to Mr. Wyden: “I responded in what I thought was the most truthful, or least untruthful, manner by saying, ‘no.’”
Mr. Clapper in February 2011 told a Capitol Hill hearing, whose audience he apparently assessed had fallen off a turnip truck, that Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood was “a very heterogeneous group, largely secular.” His office released a clarification of that one even before the day ended.
On Dec. 22, National Security Adviser Susan Rice insisted in a “60 Minutes” interview that NSA officials “inadvertently made false representations.” I’m glad that’s cleared up. She also defended the NSA’s snooping on Americans by saying that “the fact that we have not had a successful attack on our homeland since 9/11 should not be diminished.”
That would be news to the survivors of the Islamist massacres at Fort Hood, Texas, on Nov. 5, 2009, and the Boston Marathon last April 15.
Miss Rice is getting good at this. She was U.N. ambassador when the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi was assaulted on Sept. 11, 2012, resulting in the deaths of U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans. On four Sunday talk shows and for days afterward she, along with other administration officials, including Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, insisted that it was not a terrorist attack, but rather a spontaneous riot inflamed by an anti-Muhammad video on the Internet. Miss Rice was later promoted to her current post.
Incredibly, The New York Times on Dec. 28 tried to resurrect the video ploy with a 7,000-word article. Written by David D. Kirkpatrick, “A Deadly Mix in Benghazi” dismisses the claim that al Qaeda played any role in the attack. Instead, the newspaper reports, local Islamic militants cased the consulate and engineered the assault.
Security analyst Kenneth R. Timmerman, who is writing a book about Benghazi, noted in a Jan. 3 column in The Washington Times that “the CIA station chief in Tripoli and the chief of base in Benghazi were regularly briefing their bosses in Langley as well as U.S. diplomats in Libya on the al Qaeda presence and specifically on Ansar al-Shariah,” the group that initially claimed credit for the attack.
According to The New York Times article, some in the mob who joined the attack allegedly said they were there because of the “Innocence of Muslims” video on YouTube that had triggered an attack earlier that day on the U.S. Embassy in Cairo. So what?
According to Fox News, people who were in Libya that awful day and night hotly dismiss The New York Times’ scenario and its re-emphasis of the video. “It was a coordinated attack. It is completely false to say anything else. It is completely a lie,” one witness told Fox News.
Could it be that the newspaper is blowing smoke over Benghazi so that future presidential candidate Hillary Clinton can later claim that it was all just too confusing to sort out?
In terms of lies, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act may be in a class by itself in the Hall of Shame. Americans were promised a “transparent” legislative process and instead got one-party, closed-door sessions. We got a massive new tax law that originated, unconstitutionally, in the Senate instead of the House. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid took a House bill, gutted it, changed its name, and stuffed it with 2,700 pages of Obamacare.
President Obama told Americans point blank that the legislation did not constitute a new tax. However, when the law came before the U.S. Supreme Court, Chief Justice John Roberts agreed with Mr. Obama’s attorneys and upheld Obamacare as … a new tax.
About the Author
Robert Knight is senior fellow for the American Civil Rights Union and a columnist for The Washington Times.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers