- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
MILLER: Obama’s permanent vacation- 46 golf rounds in 2013, presidency total 160
Question of the Day
No longer encumbered by elections, President Obama has let his golf game swing in his second term. Mr. Obama played golf a staggering 46 times in 2013, one-third more games than his second-highest year on the greens in 2011.
The president just wrapped up a golf-a-rama in Hawaii during which he hit the links nine times in 17 days.
He played five times at the Marine Corps Base Hawaii at Kaneohe Bay, twice at the private Mid Pacific Country Club in Lanikai and once each at the Ko’olau Golf Club and the Royal Hawaiian Golf Club.
This brought his presidency total to 160 golf games.
Mr. Obama’s second the first year of his second term with five rounds in January— two during his annual vacation in Hawaii and three on a weekend trip to Florida.
He didn’t play during the winter Washington, D.C., but once it warmed up, he hit the links weekly.
From the end of March until the end of September, Mr. Obama played golf every weekend except the day after the Boston Marathon bombing and when he was in Korea. Even after the weather cooled, he fit in two more rounds in October and three in November (once in sunny Florida).
The president is clearly aware of the optics of his disappearing onto a golf course, so he decreases the outings in election years. He played 27 times in 2009, 31 times in 2010, 34 times in 2011 but only 19 times in 2012.
Mr. Obama can choose to spend five to six hours a week on the greens during his second term, or he can show the American people that his focus is on fixing Obamacare and the economy.
However, since he has played golf three times in the first four days of 2014, it’s unlikely he cares much what voters think anymore.
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times and author of “Emily Gets Her Gun” (Regnery, 2013).
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Exclusive - Mark Witaschek takes the stand in D.C. shotgun shell trial
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public