- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
D.C. woman pleads guilty in her 7-week-old son’s fatal overdose
Question of the Day
A D.C. woman pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter Wednesday for administering a lethal dose of a prescription drug to her infant son.
Prosecutors said Tisheena Louise Brown, 33, of Southeast admitted to giving her 7-week-old son, Hakeem, Promethazine in September because he was acting fussy.
After taking the drug, which is frequently prescribed for motion sickness and nausea and is not supposed to be given to children younger than 2, the child stopped breathing.
Brown, who prosecutors said has a history of prescription drug abuse, initially told rescue workers she gave her son an “over the counter” gas relief medication. The child died at a hospital a short time later.
Prosecutors said Brown had a history of visiting hospitals to fraudulently obtain prescriptions, which would then be filled and paid for by Medicaid. She got more than 1,700 pills from various doctors from September through December and also pleaded guilty to a charge of second-degree insurance fraud, prosecutors said.
Brown is scheduled to be sentenced in D.C. Superior Court on July 18.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Matthew Cella is The Washington Times’ Metro editor. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prince William County officials alarmed at illegals housed at nonprofit
- Former P.G. County Executive Wayne K. Curry dies of cancer at 63
- Jury: HIV/AIDS grant money used to renovate building that opened as strip club
- Assad Facebook page displays letter of support from Virginia state senator
- Deeds files notice ahead of possible lawsuit over son's care
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world