- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
D.C. woman pleads guilty in her 7-week-old son’s fatal overdose
Question of the Day
A D.C. woman pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter Wednesday for administering a lethal dose of a prescription drug to her infant son.
Prosecutors said Tisheena Louise Brown, 33, of Southeast admitted to giving her 7-week-old son, Hakeem, Promethazine in September because he was acting fussy.
After taking the drug, which is frequently prescribed for motion sickness and nausea and is not supposed to be given to children younger than 2, the child stopped breathing.
Brown, who prosecutors said has a history of prescription drug abuse, initially told rescue workers she gave her son an “over the counter” gas relief medication. The child died at a hospital a short time later.
Prosecutors said Brown had a history of visiting hospitals to fraudulently obtain prescriptions, which would then be filled and paid for by Medicaid. She got more than 1,700 pills from various doctors from September through December and also pleaded guilty to a charge of second-degree insurance fraud, prosecutors said.
Brown is scheduled to be sentenced in D.C. Superior Court on July 18.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Matthew Cella is The Washington Times’ Metro editor. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Prince William County officials alarmed at illegals housed at nonprofit
- Former P.G. County Executive Wayne K. Curry dies of cancer at 63
- Jury: HIV/AIDS grant money used to renovate building that opened as strip club
- Assad Facebook page displays letter of support from Virginia state senator
- Deeds files notice ahead of possible lawsuit over son's care
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- LYONS: Small-arms treaty, big Second Amendment threat
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq