- The Washington Times - Monday, October 3, 2016

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman issued a cease-and-desist order Monday against Donald Trump’s charity foundation after learning it is not property registered with the state.

Mr. Trump’s lawyers received a “notice of violation” that said the Donald J. Trump Foundation lacks the certification required to solicit funds as a charity in the state — putting it in violation of state law.

“The Trump Foundation must immediately cease soliciting contributions or engaging in any other fundraising activities in New York,” the notice said.

The notice said the foundation has 15 days to remedy the problem.

The Washington Post reported last week that Mr. Trump’s foundation had never obtained the appropriate documentation, and the newspaper has raised a series of questions about the way in which some of the foundation’s money has been spent over the years.

The Trump campaign suggested Mr. Schneiderman, a Democrat, is acting in a partisan manner.

“While we remain very concerned about the political motives behind AG Schneiderman’s investigation, the Trump Foundation nevertheless intends to cooperate fully with the investigation,” said Hope Hicks, a Trump spokesperson. “Because this is an ongoing legal matter, the Trump Foundation will not comment further at this time.”

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide