- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Topic - Bobby Valentine
In a story Feb. 21, The Associated Press reported that new Red Sox manager John Farrell had been general manager Ben Cherington's choice in 2012 while team President Larry Lucchino preferred Bobby Valentine. Both preferred Farrell, but when he was unavailable, Lucchino wanted Valentine and Cherington preferred Dale Sveum for the job.
A team-by-team look at the American League East entering spring training, including key players each club acquired and lost, and dates of the first workout for pitchers and catchers, and the full squad:
Boston Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington was voted The Sporting News baseball executive of the year following the team's worst-to-first turnaround.
A celebration nearly a century in the making was unfolding at the old ballpark, a long-awaited moment generations of New Englanders had never been able to witness. Turmoil to triumph. Worst to first. A clincher at Fenway Park.
David Ortiz and the Boston Red Sox, baseball's bearded wonders, capped their remarkable turnaround by beating the St. Louis Cardinals 6-1 in Game 6 on Wednesday night to win their third World Series championship in 10 seasons.
John Farrell failed in his last managerial job. The Boston Red Sox had their worst record in nearly a half century.
Bringing the world closer together through baseball sure sounded like a good idea.
When the news of Pope Benedict XVI’s unexpected, nearly unprecedented resignation broke Monday morning, the Twitter community responded by doing what they do best. Making lots and lots of jokes.
The Boston Red Sox have the reliable starter they sought in Ryan Dempster.
The Boston Red Sox have the reliable starter they sought, signing right-hander Ryan Dempster to a two-year contract.
Brian Cashman feels so good about the Yankees' offseason, he decided to rapel down a building.
Larry Lucchino cracked open a fortune cookie from the Chinese dinner that Red Sox officials and John Farrell shared during their final discussion about Boston's managerial job.
The Red Sox reportedly have reached an agreement to bring Toronto Blue Jays manager John Farrell to Boston to replace Bobby Valentine.
When John Farrell is announced as the new manager of the Boston Red Sox, he will take over a last-place team reeling from 13 months of player revolt.
Terry Francona is getting back with one of his baseball families.
"It's the same game everywhere, but a different experience watching over there," Valentine added.
"Amazing, wasn't it, the way that woke everybody up around here?" said Bobby Valentine, who's managed three MLB clubs _ Rangers, Mets and Red Sox _ as well as Japan's Chiba Lotte Marines on two different occasions.