- The Washington Times - Wednesday, September 24, 2003

NEW YORK (AP) — Democratic presidential candidate Wesley Clark yesterday outlined an economic plan that he said would move $100 billion in tax cuts for the wealthy into “job-creating funds.”

“My job creation plan is a clear alternative to the failed policies” of President Bush, the retired Army general told supporters and reporters in Manhattan. “Tax cuts for the rich have made us poor.”

Delivering a 20-minute policy speech at a park along the East River, Mr. Clark said he would take the money that Mr. Bush gave the wealthy in tax cuts and create three funds: for homeland security, business tax incentives and relief for state governments.

Mr. Clark, who declared his candidacy last week, said he would allocate $40 billion for improvement of homeland security and the creation of security-related jobs such as police, fire and the Coast Guard.



Another $40 billion would be earmarked for state governments struggling under federal tax cuts, and $20 billion would be used as tax incentives for businesses that hire new employees.

The plan, Mr. Clark said, “will not increase the deficit. It simply moves $100 billion from tax cuts for households making more than $200,000 a year and directs it into job-creating funds that will help middle-income and working-class families.”

“This job creation plan is part of my overall approach — one that I will be explaining over the course of the campaign,” he said.

The Arkansan criticized Mr. Bush, joining his nine rivals for the Democratic nomination in blaming the administration for high unemployment rates and budget deficits.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide