- The Washington Times - Tuesday, August 31, 2004


U.N. agency finds gaps in nuke plan

VIENNA, Austria — Some nuclear technology ordered by Libya for its former weapons program is missing, and the origin of other material is not clear, the U.N. nuclear watchdog said yesterday, raising concerns about where the equipment is and whether North Korea could have been a provider.

The International Atomic Energy Agency’s (IAEA) findings on Libya’s dismantled nuclear-weapons program were circulated to diplomats in a confidential report ahead of a meeting of the agency’s board of governors. That meeting, which starts Sept. 13, will review the progress of IAEA investigations into secret nuclear activities by Libya and Iran.

The U.N. agency credited Libya with cooperation in efforts to get to the bottom of its activities, but said some “enrichment technology” was missing after Libya ordered but never received it. The report also said the origin of two cylinders of uranium hexafluoride remains unknown.


Gunman takes aim at U.S. diplomatic car

JIDDA — Shots were fired yesterday at a U.S. diplomatic car near the U.S. Consulate in the Red Sea port city of Jidda, but no injuries were reported, the U.S. Embassy said.

An official declined to give details on the occupants of the car or how many people it was carrying. Security sources told Reuters news agency that the car was carrying one passenger plus the driver, both of whom escaped unhurt.


Jewish man arrested in arson attack

PARIS — French police yesterday arrested a Jewish man on suspicion of torching a Jewish community center in Paris a week ago, a blaze that initially was assumed to be an anti-Semitic arson attack.

The arrest marked an embarrassing turnaround in the investigation of the Aug. 22 fire, which had led the French government to declare war on racism and prompted a snap visit to Paris by Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom.

Police said the 52-year-old man, identified as Raphael B and described as mentally unstable, had worked as a guard at the center and that management wanted to fire him.


Thatcher family leaves for U.S.

CAPE TOWN — The family of Mark Thatcher, the son of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher who was arrested in South Africa last week on suspicion of financing a coup attempt in oil-rich Equatorial Guinea, left his Cape Town home yesterday for the United States.

Mr. Thatcher, who has denied involvement in the plot, is effectively under house arrest in the plush residence until he pays a $300,000 bail.

A family spokesman said Mr. Thatcher’s wife, Diane, a Texan, and their two children were bound for the United States, where the children were to be enrolled for the new school year.


Strikers protest grenade attack

DHAKA — A general strike to protest a recent grenade attack that killed 20 persons at an opposition political rally brought Bangladesh to a near standstill yesterday.

Shops and schools were closed and most traffic was halted across the country during the dawn-to-dusk strike called by opposition Awami League activists. It was the fourth strike in a week.

Meanwhile, ruling-party supporters also held street rallies yesterday to protest the grenade attack, saying those who seek to weaken the government were behind it.

Violent protests and a series of strikes have disrupted life in this South Asian nation after the Aug. 21 attack, in which a dozen grenades were lobbed into the crowd outside the Awami League’s headquarters.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide