- The Washington Times - Wednesday, December 1, 2004

A Greenbelt woman was denied a restraining order against her boyfriend early Sunday, hours before she was fatally stabbed and police charged the man with the crime.

Doreen M. McClendon, 37, was denied a restraining order against Kevin M. Tinsley at about 2:25 a.m., according to court records. She was killed at about 11 a.m. Sunday morning outside her apartment in the 6200 block of Breezeway Drive.

“They had been arguing for a while that morning,” said Greenbelt police spokesman Officer George Mathews. “At one point, the victim told the suspect to leave the apartment.”

Miss McClendon, a secretary in the University of Maryland’s Department of Curriculum and Instruction, left Mr. Tinsley in the apartment and returned at about 11 a.m.

“It appears she was in the building walking to her apartment door when the suspect came out of the laundry-room door,” Officer Mathews said.

He said she was stabbed several times, but she was able to name her attacker before she died at 3:38 p.m. at the Prince George’s County Hospital Center.

Police think Mr. Tinsley, 38, fled in Miss McClendon’s mother’s 1992 Honda Accord. The car was discovered later in Fairfax County, but Mr. Tinsley remains at large.

According to court records, Miss McClendon and Mr. Tinsley had been in a relationship for several years and had been living together in Greenbelt for about three months.

Miss McClendon wrote in her application for a protective order that Mr. Tinsley, who worked at Kamco Building Supply in Northeast Washington, threatened her with violence when she tried to evict him from the Greenbelt apartment that they shared for about three months.

“At that time, he said that I wouldn’t be living if he had to go,” she said.

Court Commissioner Dennis P. Settles denied her request, checking a box on a prewritten form saying, “No reasonable grounds to believe that abuse (as defined in the statute) occurred.”

The parenthetical clause was underlined.

According to Maryland law, when applying for a protective order, abuse is considered an act that causes serious bodily harm, an act that places a person eligible for relief in fear of imminent serious bodily harm, assault in any degree, rape or sexual offense or attempted rape or sexual offense in any degree, and false imprisonment.

Calls to the Prince George’s County Commissioners Office were referred to Pamela King, a Maryland Court spokeswoman. Miss King said Maryland law prohibits judges from discussing an ongoing case.

According to Prince George’s County court records, Miss McClendon filed for, and was granted, two previous protective orders against Mr. Tinsley.

On May 13, 2003, she said Mr. Tinsley hit her, slammed her into a wall and broke a bedroom mirror after an argument. She said in the complaint that Mr. Tinsley had beaten her in the past, splitting her lip and giving her a black eye on another occasion.

Miss McClendon filed a motion to withdraw the protective order about two weeks later. She said the couple had a daughter together and thought it would be in the child’s best interest to “make the relationship work.”

Miss McClendon had four daughters ranging in age from 10 to 18 years old. Mr. Tinsley was the father of the youngest child.

Miss McClendon filed for another protective order against Mr. Tinsley in July 2003, saying he became angry with her and destroyed an alarm clock and threatened her daughter.

Second-degree assault charges against Mr. Tinsley in both cases were dismissed. When the charges were dismissed, the second protective order also was dismissed.

Miss McClendon wrote in her application for her last protective order that in October 2003, Mr. Tinsley also had beaten her, bruising her face and leg. She said that Mr. Tinsley had continued to verbally abuse her.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide