- The Washington Times - Friday, May 28, 2004

Shell halts sale of bad gasoline

NEW ORLEANS — Just before the heavy-driving Memorial Day weekend, Shell Oil stopped the sale of gasoline at more than 500 of its stations in the South because of high levels of sulfur that can ruin vehicle fuel gauges and make an empty tank appear full.

The damage done by the bad gasoline could cause some drivers to run out of gas unexpectedly. Also, car owners may have to replace their fuel gauges — a repair job that can easily cost $400 to $600.

Wanted in terror fight: alert doormen

NEW YORK — Authorities in this city of buildings have turned to a new ally in the war on the terror: doormen.

Antiterrorism training began this week for 28,000 doormen, superintendents and porters in 3,500 apartment buildings throughout the city.

Under a program developed by the Service Employees union, landlord groups and the police department, the workers will receive four hours of classroom training on how to spot and respond to the threat of terrorism.

Fox pursues Hoffa mystery

DETROIT — Investigators looking into the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters boss Jimmy Hoffa ripped up floor boards yesterday in a Detroit house where traces of blood were uncovered by the Fox News Channel.

According to an upcoming book by Charles Brandt, former Pennsylvania Teamster official Frank Sheeran said he shot Mr. Hoffa inside the home in 1975. Mr. Sheeran died last year in a nursing home.

Fox sent a forensic team to the house in March, and yesterday, Oakland County Deputy Prosecutor Jim Halushka confirmed that investigators were examining evidence from the home.

Boy thought dead found to be alive

BOISE, Idaho — A hospital worker preparing a drowned 2-year-old for a funeral home noticed the boy was breathing — more than an hour after he had been pronounced dead.

After giving Logan Pinto’s mother and stepfather — Debra and Joe Gould — some time to say goodbye, Madison Memorial Hospital nurse Mary Zollinger began to prepare Logan’s body. She noticed his chest was moving slightly and realized that he was alive.

The boy was flown to Primary Children’s Medical Center in Salt Lake City, where he was listed in critical condition.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide