- The Washington Times - Monday, October 25, 2004

BAGHDAD — Terrorists waylaid three minibuses carrying U.S.-trained Iraqi soldiers heading home on leave and massacred about 50 of them — forcing many to lie down on the ground and shooting them in the head, officials said yesterday.

Some accounts by police said the attackers were dressed in Iraqi military uniforms.

The killing of so many Iraqi soldiers — unarmed and in civilian clothes — in such an apparently sure-footed operation reinforced American and Iraqi suspicions that the country’s security services have been infiltrated by insurgents.

A claim of responsibility posted on an Islamist Web site attributed the attack to followers of Jordanian-born terror mastermind Abu Musab Zarqawi.

Elsewhere, a U.S. diplomat was killed yesterday morning when a rebel-fired rocket or mortar shell crashed into the trailer where he was sleeping at an American base near the Baghdad airport, the U.S. Embassy announced.

Edward Seitz, 41, an agent with the State Department’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security, was believed to be the first U.S. diplomat killed in Iraq since the war began in March 2003. Al Jazeera television reported yesterday that the militant Islamic Army of Iraq claimed responsibility for the attack.

A Bulgarian soldier was killed and two others were injured in a car-bombing near Karbala, the Bulgarian Defense Ministry said. Karbala, a Shi’ite holy city south of Baghdad, had been quiet since U.S. troops routed Shi’ite militia there last spring.

The Iraqi soldiers were on their way home after completing a training course at the Kirkush military camp northeast of Baghdad when their buses were stopped Saturday evening by rebels near the Iranian border about 95 miles east of Baghdad, Interior Ministry spokesman Adnan Abdul-Rahman said.

There was confusion over precise figures, although the Iraqi national guard said 48 troops and three drivers were killed.

Mr. Abdul-Rahman said 37 bodies were found yesterday on the ground with their hands behind their backs, shot execution-style. Twelve others were found in a burned bus, he said. Some officials quoted witnesses as saying insurgents fired rocket-propelled grenades at one bus.

“After inspection, we found out that they were shot after being ordered to lay down on the earth,” said Gen. Walid al-Azzawi, commander of the Diyala provincial police, adding that the bodies were laid out in four rows.

In a Web site posting, the Al Qaeda in Iraq, formerly known as Tawhid and Jihad, claimed responsibility for the ambush, saying: “God enabled the mujahideen to kill all” the soldiers and “seize two cars and money.”

The claim could not be verified, but appeared on a Web site used in the past by Islamists.

Zarqawi and his movement are believed to be behind dozens of attacks on Iraqi and U.S.-led forces and kidnappings of foreigners. Many of those hostages, including three Americans, have been beheaded — some purportedly by Zarqawi himself.

The United States has put a $25 million bounty on Zarqawi — the same amount as for Osama bin Laden.

U.S. officials believe Zarqawi’s group is headquartered in Fallujah, an insurgent bastion 40 miles west of Baghdad. Yesterday, a U.S. Marine F-18 Hornet war plane struck an insurgent position there, the U.S. military said. Witnesses said six persons were killed.

Fallujah fell under rebel control after the Bush administration ordered Marines to lift their three-week siege of the city in April. U.S. commanders have spoken of a new offensive to clear rebel strongholds ahead of Iraq’s crucial elections in January.

Iraqi police and soldiers have been increasingly targeted by insurgents, mostly with car bombs and mortar shells. However, the fact that the insurgents were able to strike at so many unarmed soldiers in such a remote region suggested the guerrillas may have had advance word on the soldiers’ movements.

“There was probably collusion among the soldiers or other groups,” Diyala’s deputy governor, Aqil Hamid al-Adili, told Al Arabiya television. “Otherwise, the gunmen would not have gotten the information about the soldiers’ departure from their training camp and that they were unarmed.”

Last week, a U.S. defense official told reporters in Washington that some members of the Iraqi security services have developed sympathies and contacts with the guerrillas. In other instances, infiltrators were sent to join the security services, the official said on the condition of anonymity.

He cited a mortar attack Tuesday on an Iraqi national guard compound north of Baghdad as a possible inside job. The attackers apparently knew when and where the soldiers were gathering and dropped mortar rounds in the middle of their formation. At least four Iraqis were killed and 80 wounded.

One American soldier also was wounded in the pre-dawn attack that killed Mr. Seitz, the State Department said. The attack occurred at Camp Victory, headquarters of the U.S.-led coalition’s ground forces command.

In Beijing, Secretary of State Colin L. Powell described Mr. Seitz as “a brave American, dedicated to his country and to a brighter future for the people of Iraq.”

U.S. Ambassador John Negroponte said Mr. Seitz was a “committed professional” who served with distinction.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide