- The Washington Times - Saturday, September 11, 2004

BAGHDAD — A U.S. Army specialist broke down in tears yesterday as he admitted abusing inmates at Abu Ghraib prison. He received a lighter sentence in return for his testimony against others charged in the scandal.

Spc. Armin J. Cruz, 24, was the first military intelligence soldier convicted in the Abu Ghraib scandal, and his trial followed the investigation into the abuses that appeared to move beyond the Military Police who so far have been at the center of the case.

“There is no way to justify it,” Cruz, from Plano, Texas, said after pleading guilty to conspiracy to mistreat subordinates and mistreatment of prisoners at the grim, walled prison in western Baghdad last October. “I accept full and complete responsibility.”

Cruz, who had been assigned to the 325th Military Intelligence Battalion, was sentenced to eight months’ confinement, reduction in rank to private and a bad-conduct discharge.

The judge, Col. James Pohl, adjourned the session briefly to allow Cruz to regain his composure after he broke down during questioning by the judge.

An investigation into abuses at Abu Ghraib erupted into scandal in April when CBS’ “60 Minutes II” first transmitted pictures of naked, terrified Iraqi prisoners undergoing abuse and humiliation by their grinning American guards.

All others charged so far have been low-ranking enlisted soldiers from the 372nd Military Police Company, a Reserve unit from Western Maryland.

Last May, Spc. Jeremy C. Sivits became the first soldier convicted in the case, admitting to four charges of abuse and receiving a year in prison, reduction in rank and a bad-conduct discharge. He is expected to testify against others.

However, attorneys for the accused MPs have long contended that their clients were acting under instructions of intelligence agents and civilian contractors, who pushed them to “soften up” prisoners suspected of having information about attacks against Americans.

In recent weeks, the investigation appears to be moving beyond the MP unit, casting doubt on the Pentagon’s initial finding that the mistreatment was limited to a handful of misfits in a poorly led unit.

A probe released this month by Maj. Gen. George Fay focused on the role of military intelligence personnel in the abuse scandal and identified 27 persons attached to the 205th Military Intelligence Brigade — both soldiers and contractors — who are accused of complicity in the mistreatment.

Prosecutors accused Cruz of forcing naked prisoners to crawl along the floor and later handcuffing the men together. The prosecution maintained that Cruz joined Spc. Charles Graner, Staff Sgt. Ivan Frederick and other defendants from the 372nd MP Company in mistreating prisoners.

Cruz, who bit his lips incessantly during the proceedings, denied he either ordered or directed the prison guards to abuse prisoners. He said he was an intelligence analyst who never was trained in interrogation techniques, but nevertheless was ordered to lend a hand because of personnel shortages.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide