- The Washington Times - Monday, January 9, 2006

The Metropolitan Police Department has issued a lookout for a black, two-door sedan possibly linked to the beating and robbery of a New York Times reporter and editor as he took a walk near his home in Northwest on Friday night.

The editor — David E. Rosenbaum, 63 — died of his injuries at 7:10 p.m. Sunday at Howard University Hospital.

Officials said Mr. Rosenbaum suffered a brain injury after being attacked from behind and struck in the head during an apparent robbery in the 3800 block of Gramercy Street in upper Northwest.

Police said yesterday that they were investigating reports that two men in a vehicle — possibly with the license-plate numbers 516 — were seen leaving the area around the time of the attack, which occurred after 9 p.m. Friday.

Capt. C.V. Morris of the police department’s Violent Crimes Branch said the men are considered persons of interest in the case. He said police did not know the make and model of the car or the jurisdiction that issued the tags.

“We’re just horribly upset,” Mr. Rosenbaum’s brother, Marcus, said yesterday. “Not only was he one of the greatest people ever, but it’s scary that these guys are still out there running around.

“They need to be caught because we don’t want them to do this to someone else and destroy somebody else’s family.”

Capt. Morris said police are handling the case as a homicide.

Mr. Rosenbaum’s wallet was stolen in the attack, and family members said they think someone tried to use his credit card Saturday.

Investigators said Mr. Rosenbaum could have been wearing headphones during his walk and thus unaware of his attackers’ approach. Marcus Rosenbaum said his brother wore a radio with headphones when jogging.

Police have had no luck finding witnesses to the attack.

“We’re out there canvassing and talking to different people,” Lt. William Farr said. “But up in that area, it doesn’t seem like anyone saw anything, unfortunately.”

Meanwhile, D.C. fire department spokesman Alan Etter said yesterday that the Office of Unified Communications will be investigating why an ambulance that was more than 20 minutes away from the scene was sent by dispatchers.

Mr. Etter said fire and emergency workers were on the scene within five minutes Friday. But an ambulance was dispatched from Providence Hospital in Northeast and took 22 minutes to arrive.

“It was on the other side of the city, essentially,” Mr. Etter said. “What is under investigation right now is whether or not there was a closer available unit. We don’t know that at this point.”

He said the ambulance at Providence might have been the nearest one available because emergency vehicles are usually busy Friday and Saturday nights.

This article is based in part on wire service reports.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide