- The Washington Times - Tuesday, April 3, 2007


Cabdriver admits attending terror camp

A cabdriver pleaded guilty yesterday to conspiring to help a terrorist organization after admitting he attended training camps in Pakistan.

Mahmud Faruq Brent Al Mutazzim of Gwynn Oak, Md., had been scheduled to go to trial April 24 along with a New York musician, a Florida doctor and a Brooklyn bookstore owner.

Under a plea deal with federal prosecutors, Brent Al Mutazzim agreed to serve 15 years in prison rather than a sentence of more than 20 years that might have resulted if he were convicted at trial.

His lawyer, Hassen Ibn Abdellah, said he was not cooperating with the government and would not testify against his co-defendants. Sentencing was scheduled for July 10.

Brent Al Mutazzim was arrested in August 2005 and charged with conspiracy to provide material support to the Lashkar-e-Taiba organization, which the United States designated as a terrorist organization in December 2001.



Passer-by pulls officer from burning car

Police said an unknown hero rescued an officer from his burning patrol car after it flipped and crashed into a utility pole while chasing a suspect.

Patrolman 1st Class Dennis Wood was helping state police, who were pursuing a motorcyclist early Saturday, when a private vehicle suddenly changed lanes forcing the police officer to swerve into a culvert.

His police cruiser flipped over and struck a utility pole. The transformer on the pole and the cruiser burst into flames.

Patrolman Wood told state police that a passer-by helped unfasten his seat belt and take him out of the car.

Patrolman Wood has a broken shoulder blade, bruised kidneys and a serious cut on his ear and was treated over the weekend at an area emergency room and released.


Police identify man arrested for murder

Prince George’s police yesterday identified the man charged with beating his mother to death with a hammer at an apartment the two shared.

The incident occurred about 7:15 p.m. Sunday in the 5100 block of Kenilworth Avenue during what investigators have described as a domestic dispute.

Esther Mae Cameron, 71, was reportedly struck several times. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Kenneth Cameron, 51, was charged in the case. Investigators said Mr. Cameron called police after the dispute and told them what happened. A judge ordered Mr. Cameron held without bond.


Prison locked down after two incidents

Correctional officers locked down the Maryland Correctional Training Center after two incidents over the weekend, including one in which inmates in a recreational hall refused to go to their cells.

No one was seriously hurt Sunday afternoon, said George Gregory, a spokesman for the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.

The trouble began at about 2:15 p.m., when a guard tried to break up a fight between two inmates on a housing tier. One of the prisoners took pepper spray away from the guard and sprayed it before officers subdued him, Mr. Gregory said.

Immediately afterward, inmates in a recreational hall in the same housing unit refused to go into their cells for two hours but later complied with guards.

Mr. Gregory said the incidents were under investigation and he did not know if they were related.


Security probe ordered for juvenile facility

The state juvenile services department began an investigation at Morning Star Youth Academy after a 17-year-old boy ran away Friday morning, marking the sixth escape last month.

Maryland Department of Juvenile Services Secretary Donald DeVore said the school’s operations will be reviewed and no new admissions will be allowed to the school.

VisionQuest State Director Dave Simpson said the boy escaped his housing unit and outran a night watch guard. VisionQuest runs the academy.

The academy receives students based on referrals from juvenile services, which offers help teens with drug-abuse problems or criminal backgrounds.


Eagle Scout earns all merit badges

An Eagle Scout from Montgomery County has reached a rare Boy Scouts of America milestone.

James Calderwood, 18, of Chevy Chase, has earned all 122 possible merit badges offered in the United States under the scouting program.

The Georgetown Preparatory School senior has met scouting requirements in fields ranging from public health and photography to archery and home repairs since starting his scouting career in first grade.

While it takes 21 merit badges to meet Eagle Scout requirements, very few scouts have ever collected the full complement of available merit badges.

Mr. Calderwood qualified for his final merit badge after a recent hiking trip on Tanzania’s Mount Kilimanjaro. While climbing the East African peak, he was frequently seen practicing for the final merit badge, which he earned for bugling. That merit badge required six months of practice.


Metrobus crash injures seven

A Metrobus was involved in an accident with a passenger vehicle and crashed into a utility pole, sending seven persons to the hospital.

Montgomery County fire department spokesman Pete Piringer said the accident occurred last night about 6:15 on Briggs Chaney Road just east of Highway 29 near Montgomery Auto Park.

The bus was making a left turn when it collided with a sport utility vehicle, which ended up about 100 yards away crashing into some trees in a grassy area and overturning. Two children who were in car seats were rescued by passers-by before the fire department arrived. The mother was trapped and rescued. All three were transported to a local hospital.

The bus crashed into a telephone pole and four persons in it, including the driver, were also taken to the hospital.

Mr. Piringer said none of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening.

Authorities last night were investigating the cause of the accident.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide