- The Washington Times - Sunday, February 11, 2007


Man charged with firing at police identified

Police have identified the man accused of shooting at officers in Southeast on Saturday night.

Darnell Green, 22, from Charles County, Md., is charged with assault with intent to kill, police spokesman Sgt. Joe Gentile said.

He said Mr. Green is still in a hospital, but there were no details about his condition.

The shooting occurred in the 4200 block of Sixth Street Southeast about 7 p.m. after an officer stopped Mr. Green, who appeared to be carrying an open container of alcohol.

Police said Mr. Green pulled out a gun and fired at the officer. The officer shot back and chased Mr. Green to the rear of a house with three other officers. Sgt. Gentile said the officers were forced to fire again and struck Mr. Green several times.

Four officers have been placed on routine paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.

Personal data released on 2,000 police officers

Personal information about 2,000 police officers — including Social Security numbers — has been released accidentally.

A letter has gone out from the city’s chief financial officer to notify affected members of the Metropolitan Police Department. It says the data was inadvertently released to two Advisory Neighborhood Commission officials who had requested information about police overtime.

The letter from the CFO’s office says that it is taking the issue seriously but that the risk of identity theft or other problems appears minimal. It said the Social Security numbers have been erased from the computers of those who were given the information.

Still, police union officials say the release of personal data is troubling. They want the city to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

The CFO’s office is offering a year of free credit monitoring to those who were affected.

Police seek suspect in fatal shooting

D.C. police are looking for information and a suspect in the shooting of a 17-year-old yesterday afternoon.

Police found James L. Carter with multiple gunshot wounds at the 2100 block of Maryland Avenue Northeast, the same block the teenager lived on. Police were called to the scene just after noon, and James was pronounced dead at a hospital before 1 p.m., police spokesman Sgt. Joe Gentile said.



Eagles nest again at Botanical Garden

Three eggs have been spotted in a bald-eagle nest at the top of a 90-foot-tall pine at Norfolk Botanical Garden.

A strategically placed Web camera captured the image.

This is the fourth year a pair of bald eagles has been nesting in the tree.

In November, the eagles were seen freshening up the 800-pound nest they built with sticks, pine straw and grass in 2003.

The first eaglet is expected to hatch early next month.

In years past, the eaglets have left the nest around Memorial Day.


Foot found in landfill; body still missing

Spotsylvania authorities are searching for the rest of the body after a left foot was found in a landfill.

Sheriff Howard Smith said the foot was found about 3 p.m. Saturday at the Livingston Landfill. Workers at the landfill reported finding the foot in the tracks of a loader while cleaning the piece of equipment.

The foot was among 127 tons of trash delivered Saturday.

Police sent the foot to the Virginia state crime laboratory in Richmond to be examined.

About 35 volunteers, sheriff’s office employees, and fire and rescue personnel went through the trash Saturday and yesterday searching for the rest of the body.

The search may take a few days to complete, Sheriff Smith said.


County halts building of Girl Scout camp

Northumberland County supervisors have put on hold the development of a Girl Scout camp on land that is among the last significant parcels of undeveloped waterfront on the rural Northern Neck.

Camp Kittamaqund and its 387 acres of forestland is being marketed by the Girl Scout Commonwealth Council of Virginia, a Richmond Scout organization.

The Northumberland County Board of Supervisors on Thursday passed an emergency ordinance to prohibit for 60 days development on land zoned for conservation use. That includes the Girl Scout camp, informally called Camp Kitty.

The vote followed a presentation from a Girl Scout who wept as she told the supervisors she did not want to lose the camp.

Officials say the moratorium will give the board and the Planning Commission time to review the conservation-zoning designation and see whether it should be strengthened.



Schools spending less on poverty programs

A study has found that schools are spending less on programs for children living in poverty than they did before the state’s Thornton education law.

The study, obtained by the Baltimore Sun, was conducted by Advocates for Children and Youth.

Getting more money to help poor children was one of the key points of the Thornton funding program. But the law also gave local districts flexibility in how they spend the state aid.

The study focused on five school districts — Baltimore city, and Baltimore, Montgomery, Prince George’s and Washington counties.

The study found the districts put money toward districtwide improvements that benefit both wealthy and poor students.

Marshall Spatz, budget director for Montgomery County schools, said the report’s findings are “very unfair.” He said it does not consider investments of local funds by the county before Thornton to help at-risk students.


Police arrest two in liquor-store killing

Prince George’s County police said two men have been arrested in last month’s fatal shooting at a liquor store in Fort Washington.

Police spokesman Cpl. Clinton Copeland said the men were arrested Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J.

Seong Hoon No, 32, was shot during a struggle with masked intruders on Jan. 27.

Cpl. Copeland said Zachary Johnson, 24, of White Plains, and Joseph Caulfield, 26, of Fort Washington, were arrested. They face charges of first-degree murder and armed robbery, among others.

Cpl. Copeland said police in Atlantic City and U.S. marshals aided with the arrests.


Firefighter training to be examined

Fire Chief William Goodwin said the Baltimore fire department’s training regimen will be looked at “in extreme detail” to figure out what went wrong Friday, when a cadet collapsed and died.

Rachel Wilson, 29, collapsed during a deliberately set fire at a vacant row house in southwest Baltimore. She died at a hospital.

Chief Goodwin said it is imperative to find out what happened because training will continue today.

But he emphasized that the training program will continue to use live fires.

Chief Goodwin cut short a trip to Israel for a summit on homeland security after hearing about Miss Wilson’s death.

Mayor Sheila Dixon said city officials are doing everything they can to help Miss Wilson’s two children.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide