- The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 31, 2007


Dead bird scare prompts review

Metro is reviewing its contract with a pest control company after a poison scare closed three subway stations Sunday.

A Metro spokeswoman said the company, Dixon’s Pest Control, did not follow proper procedures when it left the poison to kill pigeons at about noon Sunday, resulting in the discovery of dozens of dead birds outside at least six stations.

Federal agencies, including the FBI, joined local hazardous materials crews in the investigation.

The contractor was supposed to place the poison during late-night or early-morning hours, and then wait to do the cleanup before moving to the next station, Metro spokeswoman Candace Smith said.

The contract with Dixon’s is on hold while the agency reviews the incident, Mrs. Smith said.

The agency said it is working with the Humane Society for solutions to its pigeon problem.



Man killed in plane crash

Virginia State Police said one person was killed in a small-aircraft crash in Franklin County.

Sgt. Bob Carpentieri said the crash happened Sunday night in woods near Rocky Mount. He said search crews found a downed ultralight aircraft with one confirmed fatality about 8:20 p.m., about two hours after local authorities got a call about a crash.

Sgt. Carpentieri identified the victim as Allen Jessup, 73, of Troutville. He also said the investigation is ongoing.


2 men, 4 teen girls charged in mob attack

Two men and four teenage girls have been charged in connection with a mob attack last weekend that killed a man and injured two others, police said.

Raymond Ahmad, 29, whose address is unknown, and Melvin Arrington, 18, of Norfolk, were charged with one count of murder, two counts of malicious assault and three counts of robbery, a police spokesman said. The four girls, whose names were not released because they are juveniles, faced the same charges.

Additional arrests are expected.

The victims, James Robertson, 19, who was visiting from Georgia, died after the attack Saturday. The other victims, whose names have not been released, were treated and released from a hospital.

Investigators said robbery was the motive in the attack.

A group of 11 to 16 people attacked the three victims, stripped them of their clothes and beat them, police said.

Two of the victims broke free and escaped. Officers found Mr. Robertson at the scene, badly beaten. He died hours later.

Police have not said if the attackers knew the victims.



Man charged with killing sons

Montgomery County police say a father fatally shot his two sons yesterday morning in their Aspen Hill town house.

Police said Thurmon Herring, 44, was arrested after officers discovered the bodies of Jeremy Herring, 18, and Justin Herring, 20. Both had gunshot wounds, although autopsies were planned to determine the cause of death.

Police have not given a motive.

Officers went to the home after receiving a call from Mr. Herring about 9 a.m. He was found along a road in Rockville and charged with two counts of first-degree murder and gun charges. He is being held without bond.

Fire officials are investigating whether an attempted arson took place after accelerant was found in the home.


Four arrested in immigrant shooting

The Baltimore County Police Department said yesterday they arrested four men in connection with the shooting of a 24-year-old student now paralyzed from the chest down.

Police said Carlos Fisher, 22; Derrick Jacobs, 29; Rodney Moore, 24; and Riyan Williams, 18, are charged with attempted first-degree murder. Each is also charged with first-degree assault and armed robbery.

Herve Massaba was walking home from work July 5. Police said he goes to school during the day and he immigrated here a year ago from Africa to attend college.

Police said they found his IPod music player and the handgun used in the shooting at the houses of two of the men charged.


Crash kills one, injures teens

A Pasadena teenager was killed and three others were seriously injured last weekend when their car struck a tree.

The Anne Arundel County Police Department said Justin Grahe, 16, died Sunday at about 8:30 p.m. at the scene. Police said Nicholas Vakoutis, 18, was driving on Marley Neck Boulevard near Tanyard Cove Road when he crashed.

Mr. Vakoutis and two other passengers — Joshua Grahe, 17, and Ronald Houck, 19 — were taken to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. All had internal injuries and Mr. Houck is in critical condition. Mr. Grahe and Mr. Vakoutis are in stable condition.

Police said Mr. Vakoutis crested a hill and drove off the right side of the roadway. Police said he overcorrected and went off the left side of the road and hit two trees before coming to a stop.

Police said excessive speed was a major factor and the State’s Attorney’s Office is considering charges as the investigation continues.


City officers shot on patrol

Two police officers were shot last night in East Baltimore, authorities said.

Officer Loretta Francis, 34, a 14-year veteran, and Officer Karen Brzowsky, 29, a five-year veteran, were patrolling near Orleans and Port streets in the Southeastern District when their vehicle was hit by gunfire, a police spokeswoman said.

Both officers were injured, but Officer Brzowsky was able to drive the vehicle to safety and radio for help. Officer Francis was in fair condition at the shock trauma center of the University of Maryland Medical Center. Officer Brzowsky was in serious condition and undergoing surgery.


Woman faces jail in e-mail fraud

Easton Police said a Fruitland elementary teacher used a personal e-mail account that wasn’t hers to send e-mails to hurt the credibility of others, possibly relatives of an ex-fiance.

Katherine Kilmon was served a criminal summons for one count of illegal access to computers.

Police said she faces three years, a $1,000 fine or both if convicted.

Police said Miss Kilmon used e-mail accounts from a library in Queen Anne’s and an elementary school in Salisbury.


Wanted guard committed suicide

A Maryland prison guard being sought for the murder of his wife apparently killed himself at a rest area along an upstate New York highway.

State troopers found the body of Donald Webb Jr., 48, Sunday afternoon in his vehicle, which had been parked at a rest stop along the northbound lanes of Interstate 81, near the Canadian border in Jefferson County.

Troopers said the Baltimore resident died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. An autopsy is being conducted at Samaritan Medical Center in Watertown, N.Y.

Baltimore police had been searching for Mr. Webb since late Friday after they said he shot his wife, Cynthia, 42, several times during a dispute. Mr. Webb also shot his 13-year-old stepson, who survived, police said.

Mr. Webb was a 17-year veteran with the Baltimore City Correctional Center.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide