- The Washington Times - Sunday, November 30, 2008

From combined dispatches

Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress accidentally shot himself in the right thigh and spent the night in the hospital, another dramatic turn in a tumultuous season in which the star New York Giants receiver has been fined and suspended.

The Giants said the shooting happened Friday night and he was released from the hospital early Saturday. The team did not say which hospital Burress went to or how badly he was injured.

However, a team official told the Associated Press that Burress shot himself in a nightclub. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the team was still trying to sort out the facts.

“Our primary concern is for Plaxico’s health and well-being, and given the circumstances, we are relieved to say he was released from a New York City hospital,” the Giants said in a statement.

New York City police said they were investigating whether the incident took place at Latin Quarter, a sprawling 15,000-square-foot, two-story restaurant and club located in the Radisson Lexington Hotel in midtown Manhattan.

Phone messages and an e-mail left at the nightclub were not immediately returned.

Police added that they have not spoken to Burress or recovered the gun used in the shooting.

Newsday reported Burress has a concealed weapon permit from the state of Florida that expired in May 2008. It is unclear if the permit was renewed; such a license can be renewed up to six months beyond the expiration date in accordance with section 790.06(11)(a) of Florida Statutes.

However, New York and New Jersey do not recognize permits from Florida, so Burress could be charged. The NFL also is likely to investigate whether Burress violated its Personal Conduct Policy, which might lead to a suspension.

Also, the Giants announced that veteran safety Sammy Knight will miss the rest of the season because of a hip problem. Knight, a 12-year veteran who signed in March, was placed on injured reserve. He has been bothered by a hip condition all season.

With starting defensive tackle Fred Robbins battling a shoulder injury, the club signed defensive tackle Jeremy Clark off its practice squad.

DOLPHINS: Defensive tackle Paul Soliai was suspended for the second time this season for an unspecified violation of team rules.

Soliai will not play Sunday when the Dolphins visit St. Louis. He also missed a game against Baltimore last month. The 6-foot-4, 355-pound Soliai, who’s in his second NFL season, is the backup to nose tackle Jason Ferguson.

BEARS: Chicago placed Nathan Vasher on injured reserve with a broken right hand, ending the defensive back’s season.

Vasher, who’d been sidelined for three games earlier this season with a right wrist injury that required surgery, fractured his hand in Sunday’s game against St. Louis. He also reinjured his thumb.

Vasher, who was chosen for the Pro Bowl in 2005 when he had eight interceptions, appeared in eight games this season, including seven starts. He recorded 29 tackles with one interception and three pass breakups.

Corey Graham is expected to move into his starting role for Sunday night’s game against the Minnesota Vikings.

PATRIOTS: Former New England player Tebucky Jones was granted probation on charges stemming from a fight at a Connecticut casino.

The 34-year-old safety appeared in Norwich (Conn.) Superior Court on Friday. Jones also played for New Orleans and Miami and was released by the Patriots in February 2007.

Police said he had “inappropriate contact” with a woman in the Mohegan Sun casino lobby, then punched her boyfriend. Jones was charged in August with assault, breach of peace and fourth-degree sexual assault.

Prosecutors dropped the sexual assault charge. If Jones completes one year of probation, the other two charges will be dropped.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide