- The Washington Times - Saturday, April 4, 2009

Washington Redskinsquarterback Jason Campbell met with owner Dan Snyder, executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato and coach Jim Zorn on Friday, a day after the team failed to complete a deal to acquire Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler from the Denver Broncos.

The Broncos traded Cutler to the Chicago Bears on Thursday for two first-round draft picks, a third-round selection and quarterback Kyle Orton after the Redskins failed to assemble an acceptable package for the 25-year-old.

The Redskins broke their silence on Cutler after the meeting at Redskin Park.

“We met with Jason today and had a candid discussion,” Cerrato said in a statement. “We told Jason that when Jay Cutler became available, we, like many other NFL teams, spoke with the Broncos. We are all on the same page, and we are moving forward.”

Cerrato didn’t say whether Campbell was offered to a third team in order to acquire a draft pick that would have helped complete the deal. Snyder, who engineered the talks, and Zorn didn’t issue statements.

Campbell didn’t immediately respond to text messages requesting comment, and his cell phone mailbox was full.

Before Thursday’s trade was finalized, Campbell met with Zorn and received a vote of confidence from the second-year coach. After the deal was announced, Campbell said meeting with Snyder and Cerrato wasn’t a priority for him, but he acquiesced to their request for a chat.

The futures of Zorn and Campbell are intertwined. If both have a successful 2009, Zorn will remain the coach and Campbell could earn a new contract. Another year out of the playoffs could drive Snyder to perform a major overhaul.

Last week, Campbell was confident in his chemistry with Zorn, who calls the plays and works closely with the quarterbacks.

“He had a lot of new responsibilities last year and had a lot of things going on,” Campbell said. “I’m sure his comfort level is totally different because he knows what to expect as a head coach.”

Note - The Redskins conducted their annual workout Friday for draft-eligible players who played high school or college football in the D.C. area. Fifty-five players from 25 schools went through combine-style testing conducted by the Redskins’ coaches and player personnel department.

Among those working out were Virginia Tech quarterback Sean Glennon and 21 Maryland players, including linebacker Moise Fokou, linebacker Dave Philistin and offensive linemen Scott Burley, Jaimie Thomas and Edwin Williams.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide