- The Washington Times - Wednesday, December 9, 2009

VIRGINIA

WOODBRIDGE

Police: Shots fired at college; no injuries

A 20-year-old student opened fire Tuesday afternoon in a Northern Virginia Community College classroom on the Woodbridge campus, but did not hit anyone and was arrested in a hallway, police said. No injuries were reported following the afternoon shooting.

Jason Michael Hamilton, 20, of Manassas, was later charged with attempted murder and discharging a firearm in a school zone and was being held without bond.

Prince William County police spokeswoman Kim Chinn said the student, armed with a high-powered rifle, fired several shots and left the classroom.

Officers found Mr. Hamilton in a hallway, where he was cooperative and was taken into custody, Miss Chinn said.

She also said the unidentified teacher ducked when the student opened fire.

“When she saw the gun, she hit the floor,” Miss Chinn said.

Mr. Hamilton did not have the gun when he was arrested, but told police where it was, Miss Chinn said. She did not know exactly where the rifle was found, but said it wasn’t in the classroom.

RICHMOND

Student’s family sues Virginia Tech

The family of a Virginia Tech student has filed a $43 million lawsuit, accusing the university of negligence in its response to a warning that their son was suicidal.

Daniel Kim committed suicide Dec. 9, 2007, about a month after the university’s counseling center closed its review, according to the lawsuit last week in Fairfax County Circuit Court by Kim’s parents, Elizabeth and William Kim of Reston.

The lawsuit claims the Blacksburg university didn’t contact Kim, his parents, roommates or professors after a friend sent an e-mail to the school’s health center saying the 21-year-old senior was suicidal. It says the school relied on a Blacksburg police officer’s assessment that Kim seemed OK.

According to court papers, Kim, who was of Korean descent, became withdrawn after the campus shootings on April 16, 2007.

Kim told his sister he was upset because he thought he resembled gunman Seung-Hui Cho, the lawsuit said.

During that time, he confided in a friend, Shaun Pribush, a student at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y., who sent an e-mail to the university health center on Nov. 5, 2007, informing officials that “Daniel has been acting very suicidal recently, purchasing a $200 pistol, and claiming he’ll go through with it,” the lawsuit said.

CHARLOTTESVILLE

Man accused of embezzling $650,000

The former treasurer of a community association faces charges in Albemarle County of embezzling about $650,000 from the organization.

Michael Comer, 45, is charged in a five-count indictment with embezzling the money from the Glenmore Community Association.

The indictment was handed up by an Albemarle County grand jury that convened Monday.

Mr. Comer’s wife, former professional golfer Kandi Comer, reported him missing July 1 after he failed to attend a meeting to discuss the association’s first external audit, which revealed the money was missing.

He turned himself in to authorities several weeks later.

MARYLAND

ANNAPOLIS

Audit: Claims paid without safeguards

More than $98 million in Maryland Medicaid claims were paid without the use of safeguards built into a computerized system designed to stop inappropriate payments to medical providers, state auditors reported Tuesday.

The audit, which brought questions from lawmakers during a hearing of the legislature’s joint audit committee, concluded that nine “edits” in the state’s Medicaid Management Information System were disabled during a nine-month period that ended March 31, 2008.

State auditors found that there were valid reasons for not using most of the disabled MMIS edits, but nine of 51 edits tested should not have been disabled. Those nine edits applied to claims totaling more than $98 million.

HAGERSTOWN

Services cut at more rest stops

State budget cuts are putting the squeeze on traveler services on Maryland highways.

Officials said Monday that they were permanently closing the bathrooms at one rest area, tightening the hours at several others and eliminating counter workers at three “welcome centers,” including the heavily visited Chesapeake House on Interstate 95.

Gov. Martin O’Malley ordered the budget cuts last month.

The most painful effects may be felt this winter by travelers on Interstate 68. Bathrooms are closed for good at the Cove Overlook rest area near Keyser’s Ridge, and will be unavailable from January through April at Sideling Hill.

The bathrooms at the Youghiogheny Overlook on I-68 near Friendsville are open only from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

REGION

NORAD to conduct flight exercise

The North American Aerospace Defense Command and the Continental U.S. NORAD Region have postponed a flight training exercise over the Washington area until Wednesday. The exercise originally planned for Tuesday night was postponed until late Wednesday because of inclement weather in the forecast.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide