NEWSMAKERS WHO’S MAKING HEADLINES THIS WEEK
Hmm… as if a 3-9 season weren’t bad enough, NCAA violations too? If he doesn’t miss Morgantown already, he will.
If Thome has anything left, he could be the one lofting Matt Stairs moon shots into the night at Dodger Stadium this time.
His firing as NHLPA director could lead to another labor dispute down the road. The NHL may not be able to survive that.
Go ahead. Pick against this guy at the U.S. Open. Dare you.
So he’s staying in Spain now? He didn’t even wait to see the winter weather in Minnesota? That’s a shame.
TWT FIVE MEA CULPAS
Last week in this spot I declared the Giants’ season over. Perhaps that was a bit premature, so here are the some of the best mea culpas by sports personalities:
1. Kobe Bryant - It involved a teary news conference, an admission that something happened and a $4 million ring for his wife.
2. Latrell Sprewell - He apologized to family, friends, teammates, reporters, unborn children, pets - and eventually the man he choked, P.J. Carlesimo.
3. Marion Jones - Her admission came too late… to spare her from jail. Oops.
4. Ben Johnson - Year late, dollar short on his admission for using steroids at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.
5. Jason Giambi - I’m sorry. For Something. What? I can’t tell you.
WEDNESDAY’S BET ON TELEVISION
“We win trophies” seems to be the theme for Luciano Emilio and D.C. United, who have a chance for another in the U.S. Open Cup final against Seattle. 7:30 p.m., Fox Soccer