- The Washington Times - Friday, April 1, 2011

A Superior Court jury on Friday convicted a D.C. man for the second time on charges relating to his role in the 2003 killing of a homeless person.

Alfred Evans, 28, of the District, was convicted of first-degree felony murder while armed and obstruction of justice stemming from the April 2003 killing of Reginald Brighthart, 35.

Evans had previously been convicted of felony murder stemming from the killing but was granted a new trial after it was discovered that an exhibit excluded from evidence had been submitted to the jury during its deliberations.

Evans, who uses the nickname “Stink,” and Frank Johnson of Suitland killed Mr. Brighthart in the early morning hours of April 7, 2003. Prosecutors said that after a night out at a club in Prince George’s County, Johnson drove to a housing complex on Robinson Place in Southeast and began harassing Mr. Brighthart. The harassment escalated into what prosecutors at his trial described as a “brutal beating.”

Mr. Brighthart fled, but Johnson and Evans chased him into an abandoned apartment and forced Mr. Brighthart to put his head in a toilet and beg for his children before they fatally shot him, prosecutors said.



According to a 2010 D.C. Court of Appeals ruling denying Evans’ motion to dismiss the charges, the killing occurred after Mr. Brighthart bit Johnson during the fight and someone warned Johnson that Mr. Brighthart had AIDS.

Prosecutors say Evans later attempted to obstruct justice by placing phone calls from his jail cell in hopes of silencing a witness against him.

Johnson, now 30, was found guilty in 2009 of charges relating to the killing and is serving a 58-year sentence.

Evans faces a maximum sentence of life in prison when he is sentenced on June 29.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide