- The Washington Times - Saturday, April 23, 2011

Two men injured in a daylight shooting near the U Street corridor had been committed to the District’s Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services, The Washington Times has learned.

Devon Narce, 20, was a ward of the city at the time of the shooting. He was supposed to be on GPS monitoring but had failed to comply, agency sources said.

Marquette Hunter,19, who was also shot, was a former DYRS ward whose case closed last year, according to agency sources who talked with The Times on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

Police said the shooting occurred at about 2:20 p.m. Thursday in the 1400 block of V Street, NW. The men were reportedly both struck in the ankle. The suspect was described as a black male with a dark complexion, in his early 20s, wearing a black hat and blue pants.

The shooting comes amid a difficult week for the agency, which has seen two escapes of youth in its custody in recent days.

Police are still searching for an 18-year-old who escaped from a secure facility Sunday in Laurel after beating a corrections officer and taking his keys.

D.C. officials say the teen used a ladder to hop a fence at the New Beginnings Youth Development Center and got away in the officer’s car. He ditched the car in the Barry Farm area of Southeast.

Police identified the youth as Treyvon Cortez Carey, 18. He previously had been identified by The Times as Travon Curry.

Carey’s disappearance preceded an escape on Wednesday by four D.C. youths from the Palmetto Summerville Behavioral Health Center, a secure juvenile facility in South Carolina. Three of the four youths were recaptured Thursday morning. A fourth youth, 19-year-old Delonte Parker, is still on the loose.

Parker was charged in 2006 with assault with intent to kill, according to sources close to the investigation. It is unclear whether he was convicted of the charge.

D.C. Superior Court records indicate he was also arrested in 2008 for fleeing a police officer in the area of 17th and Euclid streets in Northwest.

He was later found guilty on a charge of tampering with a monitoring device.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide