‘America’s Most Wanted’ creator to get Emmy
“America’s Most Wanted” creator John Walsh is getting a special Emmy Award in tribute to his recently canceled weekly show, the Associated Press reports.
The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences board voted this week to give Mr. Walsh its Governors Award at the Creative Arts Emmys on Sept. 10 in Los Angeles. The honor goes to a person or organization that makes a substantial impact or demonstrates an extraordinary use of television.
Mr. Walsh became a crime-fighting activist after his 6-year-old son, Adam, was kidnapped and killed in 1981. “America’s Most Wanted” publicized fugitives and has claimed responsibility for nearly 1,200 arrests since its 1988 premiere. Fox canceled the show this spring.
Television academy chairman and CEO John Shaffner said the show is an example of how TV can be used to convey an important message.
George Lopez show canceled by TBS
George Lopez, who surrendered his TBS time slot to Conan O’Brien and then saw ratings for “Lopez Tonight” slide, got a cancellation notice Wednesday, according to the Associated Press. His final show was to air Thursday.
“TBS has reached the difficult decision not to order a third season of ‘Lopez Tonight,’ ” the network said in a statement, adding that it was proud to have worked with the “immensely talented comedian and entertainer.”
TBS declined further comment. The decision was based not only on ratings but also the cost of the show, according to a person familiar with the production, who spoke on condition of anonymity because TBS hadn’t authorized public comment.
A call to Mr. Lopez’s representatives was not immediately returned.
The comic gave up his 11 p.m. time slot late last year to make room for Mr. O’Brien, who joined TBS after leaving NBC’s “Tonight” over a time-slot dispute that ended up reinstating Jay Leno as “Tonight” host.
The plan for TBS was to have a one-two punch of late-night shows that would appeal to young viewers in particular, but the results have been unimpressive and the cancellation unsurprising, said media analyst Brad Adgate of Horizon Media.
“The only positive was a young median age” of about 32, Mr. Adgate said, which is part of the younger adult audience favored by advertisers.
Neither Mr. Lopez nor Mr. O’Brien has been covered in ratings glory since TBS made the bold move to snare the former broadcast network star.
Mr. Lopez’s total viewership dropped 40 percent in its second year, from an average of 910,000 nightly viewers at 11 p.m. to 543,000 at midnight. In August, the audience has dropped to 391,000.
“Conan” has been drawing slightly more than 1 million viewers for the season, just 13 percent higher than Mr. Lopez did in his first year, Mr. Adgate said, citing Nielsen Co. figures.
‘Idol’ executive producer: J.Lo will be back
An executive producer of the hit musical reality TV show “American Idol” says celebrity judge Jennifer Lopez will return for another season, the Associated Press reports.
Miss Lopez hasn’t said anything.
Executive producer Nigel Lythgoe was on the “On-Air with Ryan Seacrest” radio program on Wednesday morning and made the announcement, acknowledging it wasn’t official. But he added he was “delighted to say that all three judges” and the show’s “brilliant host” will be back for the next season.
Mr. Seacrest is the show’s host. Singer-actress Miss Lopez debuted as a judge this past season. The other judges are Aerosmith rocker Steven Tyler and record producer Randy Jackson.
“American Idol” is due to return to Fox television in January for its 11th season.
Lawyer: Woman in Trebek case a prostitute
The attorney for a San Francisco woman charged with breaking into the hotel room of “Jeopardy!” host Alex Trebek said his client is a prostitute, not a thief, according to the Associated Press.
The San Francisco Examiner reports that attorney Mark Jacobs said his client, 56-year-old Lucinda Moyers, is a prostitute and was in a downtown San Francisco hotel to meet a john on July 26.
Prosecutors say Ms. Moyers stole $650, a bracelet and other items from a hotel room where Mr. Trebek was staying with his wife. The cash and bracelet were not recovered.
Ms. Moyers has pleaded not guilty to felony charges of burglary and possession of stolen property.
Mr. Trebek said he chased Ms. Moyers out of his room and tore his Achilles tendon. Mr. Jacobs said Ms. Moyers was not in Mr. Trebek’s room.
• Compiled from Web and wire reports.