- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 19, 2011

SANTA BARBARA, CALIF. (AP) - A California prosecutor says U.S. officials have rejected a request to seek the extradition of actor Randy Quaid and his wife from Canada to face felony vandalism charges.

Authorities in Santa Barbara have sought the couple’s return for months. Senior Deputy District Attorney Lee Carter says the U.S. State Department notified him last week that it would not pursue extradition.

The Quaids were arrested in September in the coastal city and accused of causing more than $5,000 in damage to a home they once owned. They were no-shows at several court hearings and were arrested in Vancouver, where the actor sought asylum from a group he dubbed “Hollywood star-whackers.”

Carter says the “Independence Day” actor and his wife can be arrested if they return to the United States.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide