- Associated Press - Tuesday, May 24, 2011

LOS ANGELES — Spirit, the scrappy robot geologist that captivated the world with its antics on Mars before getting stuck in a sand trap, is about to meet its end after six productive years.

Spirit has been incommunicado for more than a year despite daily calls by NASA. The cause of Spirit’s silence may never be known, but it’s likely the bitter Martian winter damaged its electronics, preventing the six-wheel rover from waking up.

The space agency for months tried every trick to listen for Spirit to no avail. Project manager John Callas of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory said the last commands will be sent up Wednesday. Though orbiting spacecraft will continue to listen through the end of May, chances are slim that Spirit will respond.

Mr. Callas said Spirit will be remembered for bringing Mars to the masses.

“Mars is no longer this mysterious, distant place,” he said. “Mars is as familiar to us as any hometown, and it’s because of Spirit.”

The solar-powered Spirit and its twin Opportunity parachuted to opposite ends of the Martian southern hemisphere in January 2004 for what was supposed to be a three-month mission.

The golf-cart-size rovers were an instant hit with the public who followed the rovers’ every move as they rolled across the Martian plains and stopped to drill into rocks.

Their greatest achievement was uncovering geologic evidence that Mars, now dry and dusty, was far more tropical billions of years ago. The red planet was toastier and wetter, conditions that suggest the ancient environment could have been favorable for microbial life.

As far as sibling rivalry went, Opportunity was the overachiever while Spirit was every bit the drama queen underdog.

Soon after landing, Spirit went into critical condition and sent nonsense data back to Earth. Engineers had to nurse it back from the brink of death.

Unlike Opportunity, which landed in an ancient lakebed awash with water-forming minerals, Spirit plopped into a Connecticut-sized crater named Gusev that contained limited hints of past water.

Spirit had no choice but to trek toward the hills to make discoveries. It managed to shine despite having a rocky start on Mars.

In 2005, Spirit scaled a mountain the height of the Statute of Liberty. It also was the first to record Martian dust devils as they formed, which NASA later made into movie clips.

As the years passed, Spirit began showing signs of aging.

In 2006, one of its front wheels stopped spinning, forcing the rover to drive backward and drag its lame wheel. More recently, it suffered bouts of amnesia by failing to record data to its flash memory.

Spirit survived three Martian winters, but the hardy rover was no match for the latest cold.

The troubles began in April 2009 when Spirit broke through crusty ground while driving backward and became bogged in a sand pit. During attempts to get it unstuck, one of the back wheels stopped working — essentially turning Spirit into a four-wheel drive.

Unable to provide roadside assistance, NASA declared an end to Spirit’s mobile career in January 2010 — six years after landing — and it became a stationary spacecraft.

Spirit trekked 4.8 miles since landing. Its healthy twin Opportunity has logged 18½ miles so far — surpassing the distance of a half marathon — and explored three craters.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide