- Associated Press - Tuesday, September 13, 2011

WASHINGTON (AP) — FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III on Tuesday said the intelligence community continues to investigate a credible and specific threat it received last week, timed to coincide with the 10th anniversary of Sept. 11.

Since late Wednesday, the government has been trying to confirm that operatives were inside or on their way to the United States with the intent to use a car bomb in either New York or Washington. Officials believe that al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri might be behind the plot.

Mr. Mueller, appearing at a Senate hearing, said the threat remains unconfirmed but the government has had hundreds of interviews with people and is pursuing leads.

He said that though the anniversary passed without incident, that doesn’t mean the counterterrorism community should relax.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide