- Associated Press - Friday, September 30, 2011

SALZBURG, AUSTRIA (AP) - The new artistic director of the Salzburg Festival has unusual plans _ he wants most operas performed there to be new productions.

Alexander Pereira says revivals will be the exception at the famed festival under his leadership. He also says he plans to stage a Salzburg premiere each year of an opera not previously performed at the festival.

Pereira, cited Thursday on the web page of state broadcaster ORF, also says Nikolaus Harnoncourt will conduct Mozart’s “Magic Flute” next summer, while Anna Netrebko will star in Puccini’s “La Boheme.” Vienna State Opera musical director Franz Welser-Moest is critical, says ORF, suggesting that _ despite such stars _ such overperformed operas should not be staged at the festival.

Pereira takes over Saturday. He remains director of the Zurich Opera House in Switzerland until next summer.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide