- The Washington Times - Sunday, January 29, 2012

Two people were killed and three others injured early Sunday in a crash involving a D.C. police cruiser and a minivan being chased by another police vehicle, according to the Metropolitan Police Department.

The accident occurred about 3:30 a.m. in the 400 block of Taylor Street Northeast, near Hawaii Avenue. The series of events that led to the crash began about 30 minutes earlier when police received several calls about gunshots fired in the 700 block of Otis Place Northwest.

A city police cruiser responding to the calls was flagged down at Georgia Avenue and New Hampshire Avenue Northwest by an unidentified male who said people inside a burgundy Plymouth minivan with Virginia tags had tried to shoot him.

Officers inside a cruiser heard the incident broadcast on their police radio, then spotted the minivan speeding in the 300 block of Upshur Street Northwest and ignoring stop signs. The officers pursued the vehicle until the driver lost control, struck a tree, then hit another city police cruiser responding to the scene for support, police said.

The van landed on the hood of the cruiser, and all three of its passengers were ejected. An adult male and a juvenile male died of their injuries.

A third male suspect was taken to a nearby hospital and is in critical condition. The two officers in the cruiser were taken to a hospital with injuries not life-threatening. The identities of the victims were not immediately released.

Police spokeswoman Gwen Crump said “every pursuit is reviewed, but in [this] case it appears to be within guidelines.”

Police say evidence recovered at the scene indicates that the vehicle was involved in a shooting. However, investigators have not found the man who said the suspects shot at him.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide