- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 26, 2012

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Federal investigators want to know why a freight train streaking across the Oklahoma Panhandle on Sunday failed to pull into a siding and instead charged down the main line and collided head-on with another train approaching from the opposite direction.

The Oklahoma medical examiner’s office on Tuesday said it had received the “very badly burned” remains of three Union Pacific Railroad workers killed in the crash. 

The United Transportation Union identified those aboard the trains as conductor Brian L. Stone, 50, of Dalhart, Texas; engineers Dan Hall and John Hall; and conductor Juan Zurita, who escaped virtually uninjured when he jumped from his train. The Halls were not related. 

NTSB member Mark Rosekind said that the agency wanted to interview Mr. Zurita and that the conductor will not see federal sanctions for abandoning the train when an accident was imminent.

An early review found no problems with the signal system along the tracks near Goodwell, 300 miles northwest of Oklahoma City, Mr. Rosekind said Monday night. The track, too, appeared normal. The NTSB will check phone records to ensure that workers were not distracted from their duties by cellphones, and the agency also hoped to analyze data recorders similar to those aboard airplanes, he said.

The trains collided just east of Goodwell, triggering a diesel-fueled fireball that appeared to weld the locomotives together. The investigator said one of the trains was supposed to have been on a nearby siding as the other passed. There are sidings at Goodwell, one mile west of the accident site, and at Guymon, eight miles east, but it was unclear which train had the obligation to yield.

“One train had the right of way,” Mr. Rosekind said. “We’re still getting the data to figure out what was scheduled to happen. There was a side track, and we’re trying to figure out who was supposed to be where and when.”

The eastbound train, hauling mixed goods from Los Angeles to Chicago, had three lead locomotives and one following. The westbound, taking cars and trucks from Kansas City to Los Angeles, was pulled by two locomotives and pushed by one. Video has been recovered from the rear locomotives, and the remnants of what is believed to be one of the so-called black box data recorders has been pulled from one train.

“Those are critical to our investigations. We can … virtually see what happened,” Mr. Rosekind said in a telephone interview from Guymon.

Mr. Rosekind said the trains’ brakes appeared normal and no cellphones were found in the wreckage. The NTSB would check the crew members’ recent work schedules and rest periods and also their evaluations, he said. It was also looking into the track’s speed rating after a cross-country truck driver said he was “pacing” the train at 68 mph shortly before the crash. Freight can travel at speeds of up to 80 mph, but only on tracks with the highest ratings for cargo. Passenger trains can travel faster on higher-quality rails.

A preliminary report could come out within two weeks, though it could be a year before a final report is released, Mr. Rosekind said.

A witness to the accident, long-distance trucker Gary Mathews of Independence, Mo., said neither train blew a horn or signaled with lights as they barreled toward each other over the stark Panhandle landscape.

“I was thinking, I’m going to see a train crash unless somebody does something,” Mr. Mathews said Monday in a telephone interview with the Associated Press.

Mr. Mathews was hauling freight from Phoenix to Missouri along U.S. Route 54 beside the ribbon of rail. The westbound train seemed to slow considerably before the crash, but the eastbound was still traveling at “65 or better” when the trains hit about 50 yards from him, he said.

“A blast of hot air came through the side glass, and it put a burn on you like you step out of an air-conditioned bar into 110 degrees, through the glass,” he said. “There was a thud and it was over. Smoke was rolling. Smoke went up so high it was like a foundry on fire, and it was barreling straight up,” he recalled.

“After I seen it, the feeling went through me, it scared the tar out of me, and I didn’t stop until I reached Emporia” in Kansas, about 350 miles away. He was interviewed Sunday by the Guymon Daily Herald newspaper and reached Monday by the AP.

“I didn’t even stop,” Mr. Mathews said, as he recalled watching the scene unfold in his rearview mirror.

Trooper Betsy Randolph of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol described a “tangled, mangled, burning mess.” NTSB officials said there was “no survivable space” in the cabins of the locomotives.

Union Pacific declined to comment, citing the federal investigation.

Workers toiled Monday in an effort to restore the line to a working condition. In the meantime, rail traffic southwest from Guymon was shut down.

“It will be a slight inconvenience,” said Scott Robertson, the superintendent at Farmers Elevator Inc. in Goodwell. “The wheat harvest is nearly done, and I haven’t seen anything at any of the elevators around here sending (wheat) out. It’s going to delay some deliveries, but it’s not going to have that much of an impact.”

Many freight lines don’t run on a set schedule, and the number of trains through an area can vary from day to day, said Rob Kulat, a spokesman with the Federal Railroad Administration. He and railroad officials referred questions to the NTSB.

Associated Press writer Justin Juozapavicius contributed to this report from Tulsa, Okla.

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide