CAIRO (AP) - The Egyptian Football Association has canceled the rest of this season’s league matches following rioting at a match last month that killed 74 people and injured hundreds of others.
The league was suspended after the deadly stampede on Feb. 1 in Port Said following a match between Al-Ahly and Al-Masry.
Egyptian FA spokesman Azmy Megahed says the season will not resume because there is not enough time to play the games before the national team is expected to begin training for the 2013 African Cup qualifiers and London Olympics.
But Megahed said Saturday that 18 teams will play in an exhibition tournament in empty stadiums to raise money for the families of those killed in the violence.
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.