- The Washington Times - Monday, November 19, 2012

An 18-year-old killed during a melee in the Woodley Park Metro Station on Saturday was fighting to protect a friend who was being badly beaten after they confronted a group of teens that earlier had robbed him, according to court records filed Monday.

Police said Chavez Myers, 17, sneaked up behind Olijawon Griffin, of Olney, as he was engaged in a fist fight with another boy and stabbed Mr. Griffin in the chest. The fatal attack was caught on a security tape inside the Metro station.

Mr. Myers, of District Heights, was ordered held without bond Monday in D.C. Superior Court. He faces a second-degree murder charge, aggravated assault and robbery.

Eight other boys, all juveniles, were charged with aggravated assault and robbery in connection with the incident. They are facing their charges in juvenile court.

According to court documents filed in Mr. Myers’ case, Mr. Griffin tried to buy marijuana from a group of people in an Adams Morgan alleyway earlier in the night. The group robbed Mr. Griffin at gunpoint, stealing his Helly Hansen jacket and iPhone. Mr. Griffin and two friends left the area, heading to the nearby Woodley Park Metro Station to catch a train home.

While in the station, Mr. Griffin saw the people who had robbed him on the train platform, including one who was wearing his jacket. He walked up to the man and ordered him to return the jacket.

“You’re going to have to see us,” the person wearing the jacket said, according to court records.

The group of 10-12 people assaulted one of Mr. Griffin’s friends, and Mr. Griffin and another person tried to walk back toward the station manager’s kiosk to alert authorities. Mr. Griffin told his friend he was going back to help his other friend, “who was outnumbered and being badly beaten while lying on the platform,” according to court records.

Security footage from inside the Metro station showed Mr. Griffin square off to fight one of the people in the group when he returned to the platform, court records state. The two traded boxing-style blows, as Mr. Myers snuck up behind Mr. Griffin. While the fight was ongoing, Mr. Myers ran up to Mr. Griffin and stabbed him in the chest. Mr. Griffin died at George Washington Hospital Center within the hour.

Officers from the Metropolitan Police Department and Metro Transit Police arrived on the scene and arrested a number of people, including Mr. Myers. While in custody, Mr. Myers admitted to stabbing Mr. Griffin but claimed it was in self-defense.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Nov. 30 for Mr. Myers’ case.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide