- The Washington Times - Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A former Prince George’s County sheriff’s deputy charged with raping a female inmate while she was awaiting a hearing at the county courthouse is now facing a $15 million civil lawsuit.

Lamar McIntyre, the deputy sheriff who resigned nine days after the rape allegation was made, was indicted on criminal charges in the case in July.

According to the civil lawsuit, which the victim’s attorney, Jimmy Bell, said was filed Tuesday in Prince George’s County Circuit Court, on June 19 the deputy took the 34-year-old inmate to a separate holding cell and ordered her to take off her clothes and to give him oral sex. Mr. McIntyre, who was on duty and in his sheriff’s uniform, then proceeded to have sex with the woman, leaving twice during the act when he was requested on radio calls. Each time he left, he ordered the woman to remain naked until he returned and resumed having sex with her. Mr. McIntyre then ejaculated on the woman and took pictures of her naked.

The woman felt “disoriented, confused and numb” during the sex act but continued because she felt she had no choice but to comply with Mr. McIntyre’s demands, according to the lawsuit. The woman’s name is not being published because The Washington Times does not name victims of sex crimes without their consent.

The woman was then taken to her court hearing and later taken back to the county jail. She was facing charges of theft and trespassing in pending different cases, according to Maryland court records.

Once back at the jail, she reported the incident. Police officials said they recovered forensic evidence from the woman and questioned Mr. McIntyre. He admitted the encounter, they said, but described it as consensual.

Thomas Mooney, an attorney representing Mr. McIntyre in the criminal case, could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

In addition to Mr. McIntyre, the lawsuit also names the state of Maryland as a plaintiff.

Sheriff’s office spokeswoman Sharon Taylor said Mr. McIntyre resigned from the agency June 29. She declined to comment on the pending criminal case.

He had worked as a sheriff’s deputy for two years.



Click to Read More

Click to Hide