- The Washington Times - Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Los Angeles man who pleaded guilty to conspiring to attack a military base in Seattle has been sentenced to 17 years in prison in connection with the June 2011 plot.

Walli Mujahidh, 34, is the second person to be sentenced in the case, which involved a scheme to kill U.S. officers and agents, conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

“This defendant was a cold-hearted, enthusiastic partner in this murderous scheme. He talked at length in recorded conversations about the innocent people he planned to gun down,” said U.S. Attorney Jenny A. Durkan. “Even after his arrest, he boldly tried to justify his plot. I am thankful this plot was disrupted.”

Ms. Durkan said Mujahidh plotted with lead defendant Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif of Seattle to use grenades and machine guns to attack recruits at the Military Entrance Processing Center in a federal office complex in south Seattle. Abdul-Latif, of Seattle, was sentenced to 18 years in prison last month.

Law enforcement first became aware of the plot when a citizen told them about being approached by Abdul-Latif about participating in the attack and supplying firearms to the conspirators. The person then agreed to work with law enforcement, which began monitoring Abdul-Latif and Mujahidh.

Beginning in early June 2011, the conspirators were captured on audio and videotape discussing a violent assault on the military station where each branch of the military screens and processes enlistees. In addition to housing many civilian and military employees, the building houses a federal day care center.

In his plea agreement, Mujahidh admitted agreeing to carry out the planned attack and going to Seattle from Los Angeles to participate in it. Mujahidh arrived in Seattle on June 21, 2011. On that same day, during a meeting between Abdul-Latif, Mujahidh and the person who was working with law enforcement, Abdul-Latif outlined the plan of attacking the military offices with machine guns and grenades and took steps to purchase weapons and further the plot.

In accordance with the defendants’ plan, the person working with police brought three machine guns the next day to a meeting with Abdul-Latif and Mujahidh. The men were arrested after they took possession of the weapons, which had been rendered inoperable by law enforcement.

In their sentencing memo, prosecutors describe multiple times where Mujahidh described his enthusiasm for the attack and his terrorist motivations.

“During the planning sessions for the attack, Mujahidh made clear that he was eager to kill his intended victims, and as many as possible. He made numerous statements along these lines while he and Abdul-Latif planned out the play-by-play movements of the attackers using the map of the Federal Center South building,” prosecutors wrote in their sentencing memo.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide