- Associated Press - Friday, April 18, 2014

SANTA CLAUS, Ind. (AP) - State police say a fatal house fire in a southern Indiana town began when a disabled woman dropped a cigarette.

Police say 65-year-old Bryan Gregory died Friday when fire gutted his home in a gated community in Santa Claus, about 40 miles northeast of Evansville.

Gregory’s 66-year-old wife Maureen Gregory was able to escape. Police say Bryan Gregory apparently passed out from smoke inhalation as he tried to get out of the burning house.

Maureen Gregory was airlifted to a Louisville, Ky., hospital with first degree burns and smoke inhalation. Police say she’s listed in stable condition.

Investigators believe the fire was started accidently when Maureen Gregory dropped a cigarette in the living room and was unable to bend over to pick it up.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide