- Associated Press - Monday, February 10, 2014

GILBERT, Ariz. (AP) - Authorities are investigating whether a possible leak in a natural gas pipe in a Gilbert neighborhood caused an explosion that burned a man in his garage over the weekend.

Fire Department spokesman Brian Ruffentine says the blast occurred when the man lit a cigarette. He’s hospitalized with serious burns on his chest, legs, arms, hands and face.

The explosion caused little structural damage to the home but blew out the garage door.

About 20 homes in the immediate vicinity remain evacuated.

According to Ruffentine, the home where the explosion occurred doesn’t have natural gas service but there’s a pipe along the street.

Southwest Gas spokeswoman Amy Washburn says a crew is in the neighborhood working to find and repair any possible leak.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide