- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 11, 2014

DUBOIS, Pa. (AP) - A state police fire marshal says a candle caused a fire that destroyed a 10-unit apartment building in central Pennsylvania that left about 35 people homeless.

Nobody was hurt in the fire reported just after noon Saturday at the Seven Kitchens building in DuBois. That’s about 70 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.

The building is a two-story wood structure that contains 10 units, some of which were single-room while others were multi-room family units.

Investigators say the occupant of one apartment accidentally put a blanket over a candle that was burning on an end table, causing the blanket to catch fire.

The fire broke through the building’s roof and caused it to collapse.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide