- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 25, 2014

NEWPORT, Ore. (AP) - A man who tried to light a cigarette while pumping gasoline in Newport was seriously burned when the vapor ignited.

Firefighters said they used a dry chemical to put out the fire Monday after a passer-by called for help.

Rob Murphy, assistant chief and fire marshal, said the man was fueling a pickup truck at a station where companies pay to be allowed self-service. Customers at retail stations aren’t allowed to pump their own in Oregon.

Murphy says the burns weren’t life-threatening. But he says the man was sent to a burn center and probably faces a lengthy recovery.

The firefighter says the station had no-smoking signs, and he says it’s common sense not to light up when you’re around flammable liquids - but sometimes common sense gets ignored.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide