- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 25, 2014

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - A central Indiana county is receiving a $285,000 federal grant to purchase five homes located in a flood plain and prone to flooding.

Gov. Mike Pence announced Monday that Morgan County southwest of Indianapolis will receive the Federal Emergency Management Agency hazard mitigation grant to buy and demolish the homes.

The hazard mitigation grant will pay 75 percent of the $380,000 project cost and Morgan County will pay the remaining 25 percent of $95,000.

Since 2005, Morgan County has purchased and demolished 115 properties using FEMA grants and a Morgan County tax fund. Under the program, the purchased land can be converted to green space or areas for parks and recreation. Approximately 25 acres have been dedicated to agricultural space.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide